Copyright © 2016, RedEye
- What I do: I'm a designer for RedEye. I design for all platforms including print, iPad and web.
- Who I am: I'm originally from Columbus, Ohio, and I started with RedEye in April of 2014. Before RedEye, I graduated from Ohio University in 2011 (OU Oh Yeah, Go Bobcats) and spending a couple years at the Abercrombie & Fitch home office.
- What I like: Oldies and Motown music (especially on vinyl). PIZZA. When interactivity meets a beautiful design, on that note any design that's beautiful/cool/interesting/awesome/precious. Pittsburgh sports. Midwest folks who are nice to strangers.
- Talk to me about: Anything listed above, or anything at all really. I enjoy conversing about most subjects!
- What I do: I’m RedEye’s sports editor. If there’s something awesome or noteworthy involving sports, especially in Chicago, it’s my job to get you pumped about it—through any print/visual/audio means necessary. For the most part, sports are fun as hell, so they should be presented that way.
- Who I am: My roots run deep in Chitown. I was born and raised on the South Side, then attended the University of Missouri-Columbia and have been back working in the city ever since. I’ve been fortunate to have interacted with and witnessed any number of inspiring athletes, from high-schoolers on up to larger-than-life legends.
- What I like: If I’m not at the office or covering an event, well, I’m still probably at a game or watching one. Or on the golf course, or practicing martial arts, or playing volleyball, or grabbing drinks with friends. I may or may not have an unhealthy addiction to TV (I love “The Walking Dead,” “Homeland” or “How I Met Your Mother,” to name a few).
- Talk to me about: Anything sports related, of course! And we’re always looking for story ideas that will get our readers laughing, crying or thinking. Bring it on.
- What I do: I’m a web producer for Metromix. Basically, I run the Twitter and Facebook accounts so that Chicago knows what's up with the city’s entertainment. I also create lists and guides that make searching for particular restaurants, bars or activities easier.
- Who I am: I graduated from Loyola University Chicago and am now the proud owner of a degree in Journalism. I say owner because I paid an arm and a leg for that piece of paper! I’m the girl that walks into the office dressed from head to toe in solid black but has a personality that’s as colorful as a rainbow. I frequently laugh silently to myself at my own punny genius while I schedule social media, but my jokes, for some reason, are never quite as funny when I share them out loud with peers. Oh, I almost forgot to mention, my childhood house is haunted.
- What I like: I like white wine and Netflix. I spend a lot of time LOOKING for things to do and not enough time DOING them. I have a passion for photography. I can beat the pants off of anyone playing Just Dance and I love to bake, especially cookies! There’s a special place in my heart for adventure and thrill seeking. I also really love performing and watching improv comedy. Honestly just a slap a label that says ‘FUN’ on anything and I’m in!
- Talk to me about: Bras and panties—I work at Victoria’s Secret. Horror movies because chances are I’ve seen it. I love hearing people tell embarrassing stories about themselves and sharing mine. Nonsense. I can probably make sense of it somehow. Tell me what’s on your mind because I’d love to have an intelligent conversation with you!
Elise De Los Santos
- What I do: I'm one half of the copy editing collective at RedEye. I fact-check stories, edit them for grammar and style and proof pages for general prettiness.
- Who I am: Northwestern Medill alumna, bleeder of purple and white, lifetime resident of the western suburbs, survivor of 12 years of Catholic school, chronic alphabetizer and color-coder, Black Friday shopper and Starbucks Gold Card holder.
- What I like: Big books (and I cannot lie), road trips, tailgates, football on TV, The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, European history, English literature, amaretto sours and the colors cerulean blue and emerald green.
- Talk to me about: Compound modifiers, Oxford commas, hyphenated prefixes, suburban living, those stacks of paper glued together called books, Harry Potter, Christopher Nolan films and any drama imported from the BBC.
- What I do: Account Executive and local lead on all RedEye and Metromix advertising sales strategies and promotions.
- Who I am: Youngest of 5 from the ‘burbs and fiercely loyal friend. Discovered my passion for advertising as a freshman at Illinois State’s Daily Vidette. After more than 12 years in the industry and a number of different roles within Chicago Tribune and RedEye, I am still as crazy about it as ever. I am proud to help produce a product that represents this incredible city. Outside of work, you can find me at a music festival, checking out the new place that just opened down the street, or playing Cards Against Humanity.
- What I like: Things that make me tick? Wandering aimlessly around the city and exploring all of its hidden gems, photography, live music, art museums, old school movie theaters, Costco’s Sweet Kale Salad, yoga, Super Mario Brothers (OG Nintendo only, please), a good Manhattan on a corner bar stool, bonfires, street art, Michigan sunsets, anything on the Chicago lakefront, and laughing…lots of laughing.
- Talk to me about: Advertising your business in RedEye and Metromix, TV series binge-watching, where to go for dinner and drinks in the city, design, bourbon, and my enormous (and awesome) family.
- What I do: I run Metromix! You know, that awesome (and revamped) site where you can find out where to go, what to do, what to eat and who to see in and around the city and suburbs.
- Who I am: Born and raised in the ‘burbs, I started my journalism career at the Chicago Sun-Times, where I helped launched a hyperlocal, citizen journalism brand where I exclusively covered Chicago’s North Shore. From there, I began working at TribLocal, the Tribune’s hyperlocal, citizen journalism newspapers and websites. After a few years there, I discovered my passion for web production (let’s face it, web traffic), and landed my dream job at RedEye as the digital producer, and eventually jumped into my current role at Metromix.
- What I like: Pizza. I’m married to a pizzeria owner, so pizza is pretty much my life (much more than it was before I met him and would just...order pizza constantly). It’s a family owned and operated business, so I lend a hand in various capacities (i.e. Pizza Taster). I am mommy to a bouncing baby boy named Leo, who is a really cool little dude. My third love is TV. Talk to me about “American Horror Story: Coven,” “Real Housewives,” “Catfish,” “Walking Dead” and my favorite Canadian soap opera “Being Erica.”
- Talk to me about: What’s going on in Chicago/the suburbs. Ask me about which restaurant to take your family when they’re in town or your group of girlfriends for a bachelorette party! Since I sit in front of a huge database of information on local restaurants/bars/events all day long, I have a pretty good idea of what is going on and what you should be doing. I’m also a pro bono life coach, and love giving advice on various aspects of your life—be it dating, fashion or health insurance. Or, we can talk about TV. Seriously, talk to me about TV.
Senior Marketing Consultant, RedEye & Metromix
- What I do: Act as the RedEye & Metromix “brand manager”, which includes executing marketing campaigns, managing media sponsorships and trades, coordinating promotional activities and wrangling the RedEye mascot (with an occasional guest performance).
- Who I am: A DePaul University graduate, originating from the burbs (What up Crystal Lake?!) and currently residing in Lakeview. I spend a lot of time with my large, crazy family and reading far too much junk on the internet. On the weekends you can typically find me at my favorite dive bar with my misfit band of friends. They're the best/worst.
- What I like:Ballet, books, food, books about food, internet memes, cooking, Instagram, food documentaries, exploring Chicago and Netflix.
- Talk to me about:Media sponsorships, campaigns, promotions and any fun ways RedEye can get involved around the city!
- What I do: I manage the web and online strategy for RedEye. At any given time, I could be building a podcast, working with reporters, coding a webpage, editing a print story, reorganizing our backend, writing a story, editing photos in Photoshop or programming our homepage. I’m all over the place.
- Who I am: Much like my job, I’m serially all over the place. I hail from Indianapolis but have lived in Chicago, Boston and Madrid. I’ve worked in bars, politics, retail, economics and now journalism. I’ve only lived on the West Side of Chicago but I totally travel.
- What I like: Peanut butter, dark chocolate, peanut butter and dark chocolate, wine, tequila, writing, Star Wars, exercise, life.
- Talk to me about: Literally anything. I talk too much. (Ironic because this is my shortest answer.)
- What I do: I lead a talented team of print and digital designers across multiple platforms and specialize in visually-compelling wraps, special editions, original illustrations and more.
- Who I am: Ohio University grad where I majored in informational graphics and publication design.
- What I like: Design, illustration, data visualizations, hand-drawn typography, fonts and additive color combinations. Coffee, brunch, sushi, attempting to use my kitchen, baking, reading and national parks. Oh, and cheese…because duh.
- Talk to me about: Making awesome charts from a list of numbers, interactive tablet design, any or all of the national parks, the latest edition of Wired or NY Mag, or if you're interested in going to school for visual communication.
- What I do: My job responsibilities include managing a freelance staff of photojournalists and videographers, taking care of any 'in house' photography needs, producing long term video projects and expanding the RedEye brand into new areas.
- Who I am: I am the middle child of three to Patricia and Leonard Gilmore. My parents are shy, wonderfully kind and quietly adventurous. I grew up in Batavia, Ill., ( go Bulldogs! ) where I fell in love with photography, prairie wetlands and power pop music.
- What I like: I enjoy reading science fiction while drinking coffee with my girlfriend, watching movies about things that are painfully funny, eating things covered in wasabi and/or garlic, drinking coffee at night with friends, & hearing true stories from strangers. Also I use primarily Canon equipment and my favorite lenses include 16-35mm 2.8L, 50mm 1.2L, and my 100mm 2.8L Macro.
- Talk to me about: I'd love to talk about developing podcasts, as I am currently working on my first, “Mistakes We Made.” I'd call myself an expert at Adobe Photoshop, and am always happy to talk about techniques and workflow. Additionally I am well versed in a few areas of photography: photojournalism, documentary, iPhone photography, portrait, food and digital composite/illustration. Lastly I've recently become particularly interested in cross-platform implementation of multimedia projects, especially in creating content that transfers best from web/print to the iPad.
Movie Critic / music editor
- What I do: As the RedEye movie critic and music editor, I review an average of 4-5 movies per week, ask celebrities questions both insightful and amusingly absurd, oversee our local and national music content and much more. I also represent RedEye outside the building by covering movies for the NBC news at noon every Friday.
- Who I am: I'm a Deerfield, Ill., native and graduate of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. How did I wind up in this job? A passion for journalism and entertainment coverage that entertains and provokes discussion among readers and never settles for the ordinary. My favorites movies are "Rushmore" and "Before Sunrise."
- What I like: In Chicago, I support burgers/pizza with elaborate toppings and the Cubs, dark beer and all-you-can-eat sushi. Outside Chicago: Traveling in Europe and relaxing in Harbor Country, Michigan.
- Talk to me about: Crafting fun, unique celebrity interview questions that deliver content no one else has; building a personal brand; adapting your content across various forms of media.