REDEYE CHICAGO BEST BARTENDER
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. ALL FEDERAL, STATE, LOCAL, AND MUNICIPAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS APPLY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
The Semifinalist and Finalist rounds of “RedEye Best Bartender Competition” (the “Contest”) start at 12:01 a.m. Monday, January 5, 2015 Central Time (“CT”) and end at 8:00 p.m. Tuesday, February 24, 2014 CT (“Contest Period”). The sponsor of this Contest is RedEye, a Chicago Tribune Company, LLC publication, which is located at 435 N. Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (“Sponsor”). The Contest will be subject to these Official Rules, and by entering or participating in the contest, you agree to abide and be bound by the terms and conditions herein and the decisions of the Sponsor, including without limitation, the interpretation of these Official Rules. In the event of a discrepancy or inconsistency between any terms or conditions of these Official Rules and any disclosures by representatives of the Contest or other statements contained in any other Contest-related materials, the terms and conditions of these Official Rules shall prevail, govern, and control.
1) Eligibility: This Contest is open to legal U.S. residents residing in the Illinois counties of Cook, Lake, McHenry, Kane, DuPage or Will who are 21 years of age or older as of the first day of the Contest Period and who bartend at an establishment located in the City of Chicago. Employees and their immediate family members (defined as spouse, parents, siblings or children) or household members (whether or not related) of Sponsor and of its parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising agencies, prize providers, and/or public relations companies associated with this Contest, are not eligible to participate. A potential winner may be requested to provide valid proof that all eligibility requirements are met, including without limitation, valid photo identification in addition to valid proof of residency, age, occupation, and ownership of the email address associated with the winning entry. Void where prohibited and outside the above-listed counties.
2) How to Enter: Visit www.redeyechicago.com/bartender to enter
4) Selection of Finalists and Notification:
First Online Public Vote: Eight (8) Semifinalists have been selected by the RedEye Editorial team from among all eligible nominations. Photos and profiles of the Semifinalists will be posted in a photo gallery at redeyechicago.com/bartender for public voting on February 4th, 2015 . The first online public voting period will run from 12:01 a.m. CT on February 4, 2014 to 12:00p.m. . CT on February 9, 2015 where you may cast your vote at redeyechicago.com/bartender during the public voting period. .
Finalist Selection: The four (4) Semifinalists who receive the most eligible votes will be named finalists (the “Finalists”) and will then move on to the final round of the Contest. If there is a tie, Sponsor will announce the tie online and online voting will be extended in one-hour segments until the tie is broken.
Finalist Notification: Sponsor will attempt to notify the selected Finalists by phone. A Finalist will be disqualified and an alternate Finalist will be determined by the next leading vote recipient from among all remaining entries if: (a) a Finalist does not respond within twenty-four (24) hours of the first notification attempt; (b) a Finalist does not fulfill the eligibility requirements; or (c) a Finalist does not adhere to the Official Rules. Each Finalist will be required to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility and Release, which must be returned to Sponsor within 48 hours of the time Sponsor sends it to Finalist, and be available to attend the Best Bartender event atUntitled to make his or her signature drink for Contest judges and Event attendees (15 W. Illinois St., Chicago) on Tuesday, February 24, 2014 from 6:00 p.m. CT to 8:30 p.m. CT (the “Event”). If Finalist fails to return his or her Affidavit of Eligibility and Release and/or is unable to attend the Event, Finalist will be disqualified and an alternate Finalist will be determined by the next leading vote recipient.
5) Selection of Winner and Notification: The final round consists of three voting methods:
a) Second Public Online Vote: The online portion of the second public online voting period will run from 12:01 a.m. CT on February 12, 2014 to 8:00 p.m. CT on February 24, 2014. You may vote in a poll online atredeyechicago.com/bartender. Photos and profiles of the Finalists will be posted in a photo gallery on this page for public voting.
b) Onsite Vote: On the day of the Event, Attendees will have the opportunity to vote onsite with a voting token. One vote per attendee will be allowed. Voters will have an opportunity to sip each Finalist’s drink. Voters are limited to one sip per bartender. Sponsor, Untitled, the bartenders and any other entity associated with the Contest have the right to deny service to any potential voter for any reason.
c) Judges’ Vote: A panel of judges will also vote on the Finalists’ drinks on the night of the Event and award up to five (5) points for appearance and ten (10) points for taste.
The three voting methods will be weighed as follows: onsite voting-60%, online voting-20%; and judges’ voting-20%. Sponsor will announce the winner at the Event within a reasonable amount of time after the contest closes at 8:00 p.m. CT. A winner will be disqualified and the next leading vote recipient from all remaining Finalists will be designated the winner if: (1) a potential winner does not fulfill the eligibility requirements; (2) a potential winner does not adhere to the Official Rules; or (3) if the potential winner does not attend the Event.
4) Prize: The first place winner will receive a $500 cash prize as a ‘tip’ courtesy of RedEye. Approximate retail value (“ARV”) is $500. The three (3) runners up will receive a RedEye Prize pack (ARV $100). Winners are solely responsible for any applicable federal, state, and local taxes and any other fees that arise in connection with winner’s prize. Prize substitutions are not allowed, and prizes are nontransferable nor redeemable for cash. Only Sponsor may elect, at its discretion, to substitute a prize of greater or equal value because of lack of availability. Prizes are awarded "as is" with no warranty or guarantee. All expenses not specifically provided for herein are the responsibility of the prize winner. Properly claimed prize will be awarded, but in no event will Sponsor award more prizes than are provided for in these Official Rules. Sponsor not responsible for loss, delay or damage in delivery of prizes described herein.
5) Conditions Applicable to All Voting: Limit 1 vote, per voter, per day online . All voters must be located in the United States at the time they cast their vote. Proxy voting is not allowed. This includes but is not limited to creating multiple or dummy emails. No one may purchase votes. The use of automated or third party software or web site to vote is prohibited. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any votes cast in violation of the above restrictions. Sponsor is not responsible for votes that are lost, late, deleted, garbled, corrupted, misdelivered, undelivered, or misdirected.
6) Other Conditions of Entry or Participation:
Responsibility Release: By entering or participating in this Contest, you agree to release, waive and hold harmless Sponsor, Tribune Publishing Company, Untitled, and any other company involved in the development and administration of this Contest, and their subsidiaries, directors, agents, agencies, affiliates, franchisees, promoters, prize suppliers, officers, directors, employees and related persons (collectively “Released Parties”) from any and all injuries, claims, damages, losses, costs, or expenses of any kind (including without limitation attorney’s fees) resulting from accessing the Contest website; submitting an entry or otherwise participating in any aspect of the Contest; the receipt, ownership or use of any prize awarded; preparing for, participating in or traveling to and/or from any contest-related activity, or; any printing, typographical or other error in these Official Rules or the announcement of offering of any prize. Neither the failure of Sponsor to insist upon or enforce strict performance of any provision of these Official Rules or the failure, delay or omission by Sponsor in exercising any right with respect to any term of these Official Rules, will be construed as a waiver or relinquishment to any extent of Sponsor’s right to assert or rely upon any such provision or right in that or any other instance.
Publicity Release: By entering or participating in this Contest, you agree to allow Sponsor to use of your name, voice, photograph, biographical information, likeness, e-mail address, or any other information provided on your entry form, and details of winning for purposes of this and future promotions in any medium of communication including advertising, promotional, or other purposes, without further compensation (except where prohibited).
Disputes: The Contest judges and Sponsor will make all final decisions in any and all issues related to this Contest, and their decisions will be final and binding in all respects. By entering or participating in the Contest, you agree that: (a) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Contest, or any prizes awarded, will be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards will be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Sweepstakes but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (c) under no circumstances will any entrant or participant be permitted to obtain any award for, and entrant and participant hereby waive all rights to claim punitive, incidental or consequential damages and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses.
RELEASE OF LIABILITY: RELEASED PARTIES EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND (WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE), INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. RELEASED PARTIES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE OR RESPONSIBLE FOR THOSE GUARANTEES OR WARRANTIES MADE OR OFFERED BY ADVERTISERS, PARTNERS, MANUFACTURERS OR SUPPLIERS, INCLUDING THOSE RELATED TO ANY PRIZE. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL RELEASED PARTIES BE HELD RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR YOUR USE OF THE INFORMATION AND/OR PRODUCTS PROVIDED AND/OR MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE CONTEST OR FOR ERRORS OR ANOMALIES RESULTING IN THE UNINTENDED OR ERRONEOUS PARTICIPATION, PRIZE AWARD OR OTHER BENEFITS UNDER THESE OFFICIAL RULES. RELEASED PARTIES OFFER NO ASSURANCES, GUARANTEES OR WARRANTIES THAT THE CONTEST OR RELATED WEBSITES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE AND DO NOT GUARANTEE THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED THROUGH THE CONTEST. RELEASED PARTIES WILL NOT BE LIABLE, AND ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE, FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND RELATED TO YOUR PARTICIPATION IN, OR INABILITY TO PARTICIPATE IN, THE CONTEST, WHETHER THE DAMAGES ARE DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL. BY ENTERING OR PARTICIPATING IN THE CONTEST AND/OR ACCEPTING A PRIZE, YOU AGREE THAT THE RELEASED PARTIES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR, AND WILL BE HELD HARMLESS BY YOU AGAINST, ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE, INJURY OR LOSS TO PERSON (INCLUDING DEATH) OR PROPERTY RELATED IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, TO ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, REDEMPTION, USE OR MISUSE OF PRIZE, PARTICIPATION IN ANY PRIZE-RELATED ACTIVITY, USE BY A RELEASED PARTY OF ANY ENTRY, PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST, OR ANY OTHER CLAIM OR CAUSE OF ACTION YOU MAY HAVE AGAINST A RELEASED PARTY.
7) Internet/Fraud/Tampering: If for any reason this Contest is not capable of running as planned, or if this Contest or any website associated therewith (or any portion thereof) becomes corrupted or does not allow the proper playing of the Contest and processing of entries in accordance with these rules, or if infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, actions by contestants or voters, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes, in the Sponsor’s sole opinion, corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, the Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual implicated in such action and/or to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend this Contest or any portion thereof. If the online portion of this Contest is cancelled during the first public voting period, the Sponsor will select Finalists based on eligible, non-suspect votes received prior to the time of the action or event warranting such cancellation and will re-open the Contest for selection of the winner. If the online portion of this Contest is cancelled during the second public voting period, the Sponsor will select winner pursuant to the criteria set forth above with the online portion based on eligible, non-suspect votes received prior to the time of the action or event warranting such cancellation. If such cancellation, termination, modification, or suspension occurs, notification will be posted at the Contest website. ANY ATTEMPT BY A CONTESTANT, VOTER OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE (INCLUDING THE ENTRY SITE) OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION. Sponsor reserves the right to prohibit any contestant or voter from participating in the Contest if, at its sole discretion, Sponsor finds that such contestant or voter shows a disregard for, or attempts to circumvent, these Official Rules, or acts: (a) in a manner the Sponsor determines to be not fair or equitable; (b) with an intent to annoy, threaten or harass any other contestant, voter or Sponsor; or (c) in any other disruptive manner. Sponsor assumes no liability for: (a) any incorrect or inaccurate entry information, or for any faulty, failed, garbled or jumbled electronic data transmissions; (b) any unauthorized access to, or theft, destruction or alteration of entries at any point in the operation of this Contest; or (c) any technical malfunction, failure, error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or communications line failure, regardless of cause, with regard to any equipment, systems, networks, lines, satellites, servers, computers or providers utilized in any aspect of the operation of the Contest.
8) Trademark: Any third party trademarks mentioned herein are the property of their respective trademark owners. The use or mention of such third party trademarks in these Official Rules or in the Contest is solely for descriptive purposes and shall in no way imply an endorsement or sponsorship of the Contest.
9) Reservation of Rights: Sponsor reserves the right to correct typographical, printing or clerical errors in any promotion-related materials. No more than the stated number of prizes will be awarded. In the event that production, technical, seeding, programming or any other reasons cause more than the stated number of prizes as set forth in these Official Rules to be available and/or claimed, Sponsor reserves the right to award only the stated number of prizes by a random drawing from among all legitimate, un-awarded, eligible prize claims.
10) Choice of Law and Jurisdiction: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrants or Released Parties in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by Illinois law, without giving effect to any choice of law rules that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than Illinois. All entrants expressly agree that any legal proceedings arising out of or relating in any way to this Contest or these Official Rules shall be brought only in the federal or state courts located in Chicago, Illinois, and entrants consent to the mandatory and exclusive jurisdiction in such courts with respect to any such legal proceedings.
11) Severability: In the event that any provision of these Official Rules is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these Official Rules shall otherwise remain in effect and be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein.
12) Winner List: For an Official Winner List (available after Wednesday, February 25, 2015), send a request and a self-addressed, stamped envelope to RedEye Chicago Best Bartender, 435 N. Michigan Ave, 4th Floor, Chicago, IL 60611. All requests for Winner List must be received by April 31, 2014.
13) Sponsor: RedEye, 4th Floor, 435 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611.
Copyright © 2015, RedEye