2:21 PM CST, February 14, 2013
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
The Semifinalist and Finalist rounds of “RedEye Best Bartender Competition” (the “Contest”) start at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday, February 13, 2013 CT and end at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, February 27, 2013 CT (“Contest Period”). The sponsor of this Contest is RedEye, a Chicago Tribune Company, LLC publication, which is located at 435 N. Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (“Sponsor”). The Contest will be subject to these Official Rules, and by entering, all contestants agree to abide and be bound by the terms and conditions herein and the decisions of the Sponsor.
1) Eligibility: This Contest is open to legal U.S. residents residing in the Illinois counties of Cook, Lake, McHenry, Kane, DuPage or Will who are 21 years of age and older as of the first day of the Contest Period and who bartend at an establishment located in the City of Chicago. Employees (and their immediate family members (defined as spouse, parents, siblings or children) or household members (whether or not related)) of Sponsor and of its parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising agencies, prize providers, and/or public relations companies associated with this Contest, are not eligible to participate. A potential winner may be requested to provide proof that all eligibility requirements are met as well as proof of ownership of the email address associated with the winning entry. Void where prohibited and outside the above-listed counties. This Contest will be governed and enforced pursuant to Illinois law, excluding choice of law provisions.
2) Selection of Finalists and Notification: Eight Semifinalists have been selected by the RedEye Editorial team from among eligible nominations. Photos and profiles of the Semifinalists will be posted in a photo gallery at redeyechicago.com/bartender for public voting. You may cast your vote at redeyechicago.com/bartender during the public voting period. The first public voting period will run from 12:01 a.m. CT on February 13, 2013 to noon CT on February 18, 2013. The four Semifinalists who receive the most eligible votes will be named finalists (the “Finalists”) and will then move on to the final round of the Contest. If there is a tie, voting will be extended in one-hour segments until the tie is broken. Sponsor will attempt to notify the selected Finalists by phone A Finalist will be disqualified and an alternate Finalist will be determined by the next leading vote recipient from among all remaining entries if: (a) a Finalist does not respond within 24 hours of the first notification attempt; (b) a Finalist does not fulfill the eligibility requirements; or (c) a Finalist does not adhere to the Official Rules. Each Finalist wil be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Release, and it must be returned to Sponsor within 48 hours of the time Sponsor sends it to Finalist. Finalists must also appear at the Best Bartender event at Benchmark (1510 N. Wells St., Chicago) on Wednesday, February 27, 2013 from 6:00 p.m. CT to 8:00 p.m. CT (the “Event”).
3) Selection of Winner and Notification: The final round consists of three elements: a) Online Voting Method: You may vote in a poll online at redeyechicago.com/bartender. Photos and profiles of the Finalists will be posted in a photo gallery on this page for public voting. The online portion of the second public voting period will run from 12:01 a.m. CT on February 20, 2013 to 5:00 p.m. CT on February 27, 2013. b) Onsite Voting Method: On the day of the Event, send the Finalist bartender’s first name as the keyword using the text messaging feature on your cellular telephone to 87708. You will then receive a return text message with an entry confirmation notice. Text STOP to stop receiving messages. You may receive subsequent messages clarifying or confirming your opt-out request. Text HELP for help. All text message voters must have a text messaging two-way capable handset and digital service in order to vote in the Contest using the text messaging method. By participating via text, voters will be charged standard rates for text messages sent and received from their handset according to the terms and conditions in their wireless calling plans. Other carrier charges may apply, check with your carrier to determine other charges. Text messaging and wireless service are not available in all areas. Sponsor is not responsible for cellular phone service problems or errors or text messaging difficulties. The text message portion of the second public voting period will run from 6:00 p.m. CT on February 27, 2013 to 7:30 p.m. CT on February 27, 2013. Voters will have an opportunity to sip each Finalist’s drink. Voters are limited to one sip per bartender. Sponsor, Benchmark, the bartenders and any other entity associated with the Contest have the right to deny service to any potential voter for any reason. c) Judges’ Voting: A panel of judges will also vote on the Finalists’ drinks on the night of the Event and award up to five points for appearance and 10 points for taste. The three selection methods will be weighed as follows: onsite voting-60%, online voting-20%; and judges’ selections-20%. Sponsor will announce the winner at the Event. A winner will be disqualified and the next leading vote recipient from all remaining Finalists will be designated the winner if: (1) a potential winner does not fulfill the eligibility requirements; (2) a potential winner does not adhere to the Official Rules; or (3) if the potential winner does not attend the Event.
4) Prize: The first place winner will receive a Ketel One and RedEye Prize pack, including Ketel One and RedEye merchandise. Approximate retail value is $150. The three runners up will also receive a Ketel One and RedEye Prize pack, ARV $100. Total ARV of all prizes: $450. Winner is solely responsible for any applicable federal, state and local taxes in connection with winner’s prize. Prize substitutions are not allowed, and prize is not transferable. Only Sponsor may elect, at its discretion, to substitute a prize of greater or equal value because of lack of availability. Prize is awarded "as is" with no warranty or guarantee. All expenses not specifically provided for herein are the responsibility of the prize winner. Properly claimed prize will be awarded, but in no event will Sponsor award more prizes than are provided for in these Official Rules. Sponsor not responsible for loss, delay or damage in delivery.
5) Conditions Applicable to All Voting: Limit 100 votes, per voter, per day. Onsite voting via SMS text message is limited to 10 votes per person. All voters must be located in the United States at the time they cast their vote. Proxy voting is not allowed. This includes but is not limited to creating multiple or dummy emails. No one may purchase votes. The use of automated or third party software or web site to vote is prohibited. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any votes cast in violation of the above restrictions. Sponsor is not responsible for votes that are lost, late, deleted, garbled, corrupted, misdelivered, or misdirected.
6) Other Conditions: The Contest judges will make all final decisions in any and all issues related to this Contest, and their decisions will be final and binding in all respects.
By entering this Contest, each contestant agrees to release, waive and hold harmless the Contest Entities from any and all injuries, claims, damages, losses, costs, or expenses of any kind (including without limitation attorney’s fees) resulting from accessing the Contest website; submitting an entry or otherwise participating in any aspect of the Contest; the receipt, ownership or use of any prize awarded; preparing for, participating in or traveling to and/or from any prize-related activity, or; any printing, typographical or other error in these Official Rules or the announcement of offering of any prize. Neither the failure of Sponsor to insist upon or enforce strict performance of any provision of these Official Rules or the failure, delay or omission by Sponsor in exercising any right with respect to any term of these Official Rules, will be construed as a waiver or relinquishment to any extent of Sponsor’s right to assert or rely upon any such provision or right in that or any other instance.
By entering the Contest, contestants agree that: (a) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Contest, or any prizes awarded, will be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards will be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Sweepstakes but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (c) under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain any award for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental or consequential damages and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses.
By participating in the Event, Finalists agree, where legal, to allow Sponsor and its agents and licensees to use their name, voice, photograph, likeness and any information provided on the entry form, in any medium of communication, including advertising, promotional or other purposes, without additional compensation.
7) Internet/Fraud/Tampering: If for any reason this Contest is not capable of running as planned, or if this Contest or any website associated therewith (or any portion thereof) becomes corrupted or does not allow the proper playing of the Contest and processing of entries in accordance with these rules, or if infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, actions by contestants or voters, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes, in the Sponsor’s sole opinion, corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, the Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual implicated in such action and/or to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend this Contest or any portion thereof. If the online portion of this Contest is cancelled during the first public voting period, the Sponsor will select Finalists based on eligible, non-suspect votes received prior to the time of the action or event warranting such cancellation and will re-open the Contest for selection of the winner. If the online portion of this Contest is cancelled during the second public voting period, the Sponsor will select winner pursuant to the criteria set forth above with the online portion based on eligible, non-suspect votes received prior to the time of the action or event warranting such cancellation. If such cancellation, termination, modification, or suspension occurs, notification will be posted at the Contest website. ANY ATTEMPT BY A CONTESTANT, VOTER OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE (INCLUDING THE ENTRY SITE) OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION. Sponsor reserves the right to prohibit any contestant or voter from participating in the Contest if, at its sole discretion, Sponsor finds that such contestant or voter shows a disregard for, or attempts to circumvent, these Official Rules, or acts: (a) in a manner the Sponsor determines to be not fair or equitable; (b) with an intent to annoy, threaten or harass any other contestant, voter or Sponsor; or (c) in any other disruptive manner. Sponsor assumes no liability for: (a) any incorrect or inaccurate entry information, or for any faulty, failed, garbled or jumbled electronic data transmissions; (b) any unauthorized access to, or theft, destruction or alteration of entries at any point in the operation of this Contest; or (c) any technical malfunction, failure, error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or communications line failure, regardless of cause, with regard to any equipment, systems, networks, lines, satellites, servers, computers or providers utilized in any aspect of the operation of the Contest.
7) Winner List: For an Official Winner List (available after Wednesday, February 27, 2013), send a request and a self-addressed, stamped envelope to RedEye Chicago Best Bartender, 435 N. Michigan Ave, 4th Floor, Chicago, IL 60611. All requests for Winner List must be received by April 31, 2013.
8) Sponsor: RedEye, 4th Floor, 435 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611.
Copyright © 2014 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC