Students at a Chicago high school fell ill Wednesday after eating contaminated school lunches, a CPS spokesperson confirmed.

Two students reportedly became sick at Hirsch High School on the city’s south side after eating hot school lunches that were contaminated with rat or mouse droppings.  The food appeared to have been chewed by either a rat or a mouse. 

The students were hospitalized after becoming sick and are expected to be ok.

The kitchen has been shut down for inspection.

Students at the school were served cold lunches Thursday that came from an outside source.


The spokesperson for CPS released a statement saying, "Yesterday, when the problem was brought to our attention, we took immediate steps to close the kitchen and to provide the students with cold lunches. At the close of school tomorrow, pest control will be onsite at the facility to alleviate any remaining issues. Throughout the week-end, we will be at the school to ensure the problem has been fully eradicated and that the kitchen will back in operation before the start of school on Monday."