How well do you know your rights, renters of Chicago? Take this quiz to find out.
-email@example.com | @rachelcromidas
1. What minimum temperature must the apartment unit be kept at on winter nights when the landlord controls the thermostat?
2. How many days does a landlord have to return a security deposit?
3. True or False: Landlords are required to return security deposits with interest.
4. Finish the sentence: If my landlord doesn't make necessary repairs ...
A. ... I can't force him or her to fix anything.
B. ... I can use some of my rent to fund the repairs myself.
C. ... I can stop paying my rent.
5. True or False: Landlords are required to repaint apartments before re-renting them.
6. My landlord is required by law to ...
A. ... weather-proof my windows.
B. ... provide trash containers.
C. ... exterminate for rodents and insects.
D. ... light hallways and stairwells.
E. All of the above
7. In extreme cases, you can terminate your lease early if your apartment is in disrepair. In those cases, how many days' notice must you give your landlord?
A. 14 days
B. 15 days
C. 29 days
D. 30 days
8. True or False: My college dorm must comply with the Chicago Residential Landlord Tenant Ordinance.
Copyright © 2014 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC
day of the week,