Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan plans to ask Cook County Circuit Court judges to send cases involving concealed carry rejections back to the state review board for another look, a spokeswoman for the attorney general said Monday.
The Illinois State Police recently announced new guidelines allowing those who were refused permits by the special review board to appeal, but they would not impact more than 200 applicants who had filed lawsuits seeking to have their cases reviewed.
The only way those applicants would be allowed to get a new review is if the judge sent them back to the board, the ISP said. The attorney general’s decision is a response to that.
“We’re going to be asking the courts to remand the cases back to the review board for more process as a result of the new emergency rules ISP announced last week,” said Madigan’s spokeswoman Natalie Bauer.
The previous system sparked more than 200 lawsuits from applicants who were not told why they were denied. The secret review process was detailed in a report by the Tribune. The lawsuits prompted the State Police to change the rules.