By Peter Nickeas
10:08 AM CDT, July 18, 2013
Eight people were shot and wounded across Chicago overnight, including a man and a teen in the South Chicago neighborhood early this morning, police said.
The two were shot in the 8000 block of South Manistee Avenue around 6:35 a.m. A 45-year-old man was shot in the back and taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center, where he was stable, Police News Affairs Officer Jose Estrada said. A 17-year-old shot in the arm refused to be taken to a hospital, Estrada said.
In other shootings:
• A man told police he was shot around 2 a.m. at the intersection of Leavitt and Barry streets in the Lakeview neighborhood. The victim, 31, said he then ran to a Marathon gas station a few blocks west.
Police didn't find shell casings, blood or other evidence of a crime at the intersection, and the man would have run past a fire station on his way to the gas station. He was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center with a gunshot wound to the left arm and was stable, police said.
• An 18-year-old suffered two graze wounds when someone shot at a car he was in around 3:10 a.m., police said The teen was headed east on 79th Street near Escanaba Avenue in the South Chicago neighborhood when someone on the corner opened fire, police said.
He was taken to Jackson Park Hospital in good condition with wounds to his left leg and the left side of his abdomen, police said.
• A 39-year-old woman was shot in the 5600 block of South Wolcott Avenue in the Englewood neighborhood around 12:10 a.m. She was taken to Holy Cross Hospital with a wound to her back, police said.
• About 11:40 p.m., a 31-year-old man walked into Metro South Medical Center with a gunshot wound to his left arm. He had been shot in the 1100 block of West 104th Place, Police News Affairs Officer Hector Alfaro said.
• A 35-year-old man was shot in the leg in the 7300 block of South Vernon Avenue in the Park Manor neighborhood. The man was taken to Jackson Park Hospital. The attack happened about 8:30 p.m., Alfaro said.
• A man was shot in the calf in the 10000 block of South Oglesby Avenue in the South Deering neighborhood about 4:40 p.m. The 28-year-old was taken to Advocate Trinity Hospital in good condition, Alfaro said.
Copyright © 2014 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC