By Rosemary Regina Sobol
12:59 PM CDT, September 28, 2013
A fifth man has been charged in connection with the mass shooting in which a 3-year-old child was among 13 injured Sept. 19 in a South Side park, police said.
David Logan, 22, of the 3100 block of South Green Street, has been charged with unlawful use of a weapon and obstructing justice, according to Chicago Police Department News Affairs Officer Jose Estrada. Logan was expected to appear in court today.
Police said Logan was arrested Wednesday, the same day 3-year-old Deonta Howard was released from Mount Sinai Hospital after the attack at Cornell Square Park in the 1800 block of West 51st Street.
Deonta was shot about 10:15 p.m. when two men armed with an assault rifle and a .22-caliber handgun fired indiscriminately into a crowd at the Back of the Yards park. Deonta was playing on the basketball court when a bullet struck him near the ear and exited through his cheek. Doctors have said Deonta did not suffer brain damage but will require plastic surgery.
Four other men -- Bryon Champ, 21; Kewane Gatewood, 20; Tabari Young, 22; and Brad Jett, 22 -- have been charged with attempted murder and aggravated battery with a firearm.
According to police, Champ and Young, one armed with the assault rifle and the other with a .22-caliber handgun, opened fire at the crowded park that they considered the turf of the rival gang. Police say Champ was looking for revenge after being grazed by a bullet earlier in the email@example.com | Twitter: @RosemarySobol1
Copyright © 2014 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC