Antonio Lewis, 18, is accused of entering the victims' home in the 5300 block of South Winchester Avenue on June 28 and shooting Chavonne Brown, 31, and her son, Sterling Sims, in their bedrooms.
Lewis also tried to shoot Sterling's 11-year-old brother, but his gun malfunctioned, according to Chicago police.
- STORY: June 28: Boy, 5, and mother shot to death
- PHOTOS: Photos: Mother, son slain
- On the scene: Mom and son, 5, slain
- Antonio Lewis, 18
- Overnight crime report: Suspect found shot on West Side and more
- 5300 South Winchester Avenue, Chicago, IL 60609, USA
- 5500 South Winchester Avenue, Chicago, IL 60636, USA
- 2800 West Arthington Street, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
The night after the shootings, Lewis was found wounded on a West Side street. A gunman on foot shot him several times in the 2800 block of West Arthington Street, police said.
Lewis was taken in critical condition to Mount Sinai Hospital and police said they were not sure he was going to survive.
A police officer testified this afternoon that Lewis remains at the hospital with gun shot wounds all over his body. Judge Maria Kuriakos Ciesil continued the bond hearing until Aug. 22.
Tribune reporter Peter Nickeas contributed