A 35-year-old man was killed in the Avalon Park neighborhood and three others were wounded in separate South Side attacks Wednesday night, according to police.
The man killed, identified by the Cook County medical examiner's office as Dwan Long of the 8200 block of S. Langley Avenue, was shot once in chest about 8 p.m. in the 8200 block of South Avalon Avenue. The shooter fired from about 50 feet away, police said.
He was pronounced dead at 9:01 p.m. at Advocate Christ Medical Center.
- VIDEO: Chicago crime overnight report: Woman, 62, killed in church parking lot
- Map: Track homicides in Chicago
- Crime in Chicago: Explore your community
- Tribune photo illustration
- 3700 South Honore Street, Chicago, IL 60609, USA
- 8200 South Avalon Avenue, Chicago, IL 60619, USA
- 3900 South Cottage Grove Avenue, Chicago, IL 60653, USA
- 6400 South Hoyne Avenue, Chicago, IL 60636, USA
A 17-year-old boy is in custody for a shooting that left an 18-year-old man wounded in the McKinley Park neighborhood about 5:25 p.m., police said. The 18-year-old was shot near 37th Street and Honore Avenue, police said. He was taken to John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County and his condition has stabilized, police said.
In Englewood, a 22-year-old man was shot in the neck about 11 p.m. near 64th Street and Hoyne Avenue. He's in stable condition at Advocate Christ Medical Center. Someone walked up and shot him, but the man told police he doesn't remember what happened.
About 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, a 26-year-old man was shot in both legs in the 3900 block of South Cottage Grove Avenue. He was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where his condition had stabilized.