Five men in their 20s were wounded when someone in a passing car fired off at least a dozen rounds in the Washington Park neighborhood on the South Side, authorities said.
One of the wounded may have fired back at the car, according to police, who said investigators were not getting much cooperation from any of the victims.
The shooting occurred around 12:50 a.m. in the 6000 block of South Indiana Avenue, authorities said. A group of people were outside an apartment building when a car drove past and shots rang out, police said. An Emergency Medical Services Plan 1 was called, sending at least five ambulances to the scene.
A 23-year-old man was shot in the side, a 24-year-old was shot in the knee and thigh, two 29-year-olds suffered wounds to the hands, and a man in his 20s was shot in the foot, authorities said. Four were stable condition and the fifth was in critical condition, according to the Chicago Fire Department.
A total of 12 people were shot across the city overnight. They include:
• A 17-year-old boy wounded around 4:20 a.m. Friday in the 5000 block of South Woodlawn Avenue in the Kenwood neighborhood, police said. The boy was shot in the leg and buttocks, Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Ron Gaines said.
• Two men, 25 and 26 years old, were shot at about 3:50 a.m. near the corner of Le Moyne Street and Talman Avenue in the Humboldt Park neighborhood. Both were taken to Stroger Hospital, one with a wound to the arm and the other with wounds to the arm and leg. Someone shot from inside a westbound black Jeep Cherokee, either a 2004 or 2005 model, police said. Both were standing on the corner but the crime scene stretched a block east to Rockwell Street.
• A 15-year-old boy was on a porch in the 6200 block of South Rhodes Avenue in the West Woodlawn neighborhood about 9:10 p.m. when he was shot in the arm and leg. He was taken to Comer Children’s Hospital in stable condition.
• Around the same time, a 20-year-old man was shot near 57th Street and Emerald Avenue in the Englewood neighborhood, police said. Someone walked up to him and opened fire, police said. A friend drove him to St. Bernard Hospital and Healthcare Center, police said.
• Another man, 32, was shot shortly after 8 p.m. in the 6200 block of South Winchester Avenue in the West Englewood neighborhood, police said. The man was taken to Stroger Hospital with a wound to his side, and his condition was stable. He was on the back porch of a house when he was shot, police said.
• A 16-year-old boy was shot on the 7700 block of South Saginaw Avenue at about 7:05 p.m. as he was walking to his home, police said. As the boy walked, two males approached him and opened fire, police said. The boy was struck in the leg and taken to South Shore Hospital in good condition, police said.
No one was in custody.
- VIDEO: Overnight shooting leaves 5 injured
- PHOTO: Shooting in Humboldt Park
- 5700 S Emerald Ave, Chicago, IL 60621, USA
- 6200 S Rhodes Ave, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
- 6100 S Winchester Ave, Chicago, IL 60636, USA
- 6000 S Indiana Ave, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
- 2600 W Le Moyne St, Chicago, IL 60622, USA
- 5000 S Woodlawn Ave, Chicago, IL 60615, USA
Tribune reporter Denease Williams-Harris contributed to this report.