Five people have been shot across the city since Saturday evening, among them a 16-year-old boy fatally shot after a fight in the West Woodlawn neighborhood, police said.
An autopsy today determined Marquise Harris, 16, died of a gunshot wound to the chest and his death was ruled a homicide, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office.
The fatal shooting happened about 11:20 p.m. in a basement unit of a two-story tan brick building in the 6200 block of South St. Lawrence Avenue on the South Side where Harris lived, officials said.
- VIDEO: Video: Overnight crime report
- Chicago shooting victims
- Search crime data for your Chicago community
- 3000 S Keeler Ave, Chicago, IL, 60623, United States
- 6200 S St Lawrence Ave, Chicago, IL, 60637, United States
- 6600 S Lowe Ave, Chicago, IL, 60621, United States
- 600 N Drake Ave, Chicago, IL, 60624, United States
During a gathering inside the apartment, the 16-year-old boy and his girlfriend began arguing, police said, citing preliminary information. Another male intervened, and he and the 16-year-old began fighting, police said.
The male who intervened left the apartment but returned soon after and shot the 16-year-old in the chest, according to police.
Harris was talking but in critical condition when first responders arrived on the scene, police said. He was pronounced dead at John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County at 12:05 a.m., according to the medical examiner's office.
The shooting happened at the same address where the boy lived.
About midnight, a detective used a flashlight as he searched for evidence in a snowy vacant lot just north of the building. About a dozen uniformed and plainclothes officers stood in front of the building, near yellow crime scene tape strung just outside of a snow patch with faint red stains.
In other shootings:
• On the West Side early this morning, a 23-year-old man shot in the back arrived at Mount Sinai Hospital about 4:25 a.m., police said. Police believe the shooting happened in the 3000 block of South Keeler Avenue, in the Little Village neighborhood. The man was listed in serious condition.
• About 9:15 p.m., two men were shot after stepping onto a porch in the 6600 block of South Lowe Avenue in the Englewood neighborhood on the South Side, police said. The men heard a knock at the door, and when they stepped onto the porch, three people opened fire, striking each man in the ankle, police said. One of the men, an 18-year-old, was taken to St. Bernard Hospital and Healthcare Center. The other man, who is 20, was taken to Stroger hospital. Both men were listed in good condition.
• Earlier, about 7:20 p.m. a 36-year-old was shot in the leg in the 600 block of North Drake Avenue in the East Garfield Park neighborhood on the West Side, police said. The man was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where his condition was stabilized.
Check back for more information.