A parochial school in the Logan Square neighborhood was temporarily evacuated as a precaution this morning after a construction crew hit a gas line, fire officials said.
The 200 pupils at St. John Berchmans, 2517 W. Logan Boulevard, were allowed to return to classes after about 45 minutes.
There was an underground fire, but there were no injuries, said Fire Chief Joe Roccasalva, a department spokesman.
The incident took place about 9:35 a.m. at Maplewood Avenue and Logan Boulevard, he said.
The fire was reported extinguished by 10 a.m., the gas leak secured, and the situation was "returning to normal," said fire spokesman Larry Langford.
Copyright © 2015, RedEye