8:34 PM CST, December 28, 2013
Shootings early Saturday morning have left a 23-year-old man dead and at least four other people injured, according to police, and at least three others were injured by gunshots Friday night.
The fatal shooting happened about 4:10 a.m. Saturday in the 4500 block of Indiana Avenue in the Bronzeville neighborhood on the South Side. Police said two male shooters stepped out of a dark-colored sedan and opened fire on a 23-year-old man walking on the sidewalk.
The man was identified as Craig Williams who lived in the block where he was shot, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office. Williams was struck multiple times but managed to run to a vacant lot before collapsing, according to police. He died on the scene.
No suspects are in custody as Area Central detectives investigate the killing.
In other shootings:
• About 4:30 a.m., a 23-year-old man was shot in the buttocks as he stood on the sidewalk in the 5700 block of South Laflin Street in the Englewood neighborhood on the South Side. Police said the man was in serious condition at John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County.
• About 3:20 a.m. a 20-year-old man was shot in the lower abdomen after stepping out of a vehicle into a gangway to urinate in the 6400 block of South Homan Avenue in the Marquette Park neighborhood on the Southwest Side, police said. The man was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn and listed in serious condition.
• About 2:50 a.m., a 25-year-old man was shot in the 4300 block of South Western Avenue in the Brighton Park neighborhood on the Southwest Side. The man was walking down the sidewalk when he heard gunfire and realized he was shot. The man sustained a gunshot wound to the shoulder and was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where his condition was stabilized.
• About 1:10 a.m., a 23-year-old woman drove herself to St. Anthony Hospital after being shot in the arm. The woman told police she had been shot while sitting in a vehicle at a stoplight in the 2800 block of West 31st Street in the Little Village neighborhood on the Southwest Side. The woman did not provide police with a description of the shooter or the vehicle the shooter was traveling in.
The early-morning violence followed an evening in which three people were shot:
• About 7 p.m. Friday, a 23-year-old man and 25-year-old woman were each shot in the arm during an altercation with a male in the 2600 block of East 76th Street in the South Shore neighborhood on the South Side, police said. After shooting the two, the male assailant struck the 23-year-old man with a blunt instrument, according to police.
The man and woman who were shot were both taken to local hospitals, where their conditions were stabilized.
Police took the shooter into custody, as well as a female who had provided him with the blunt instrument, police said. Charges were pending early this morning.
• A 70-year-old man was also shot during a robbery in the North Side's Gold Coast neighborhood, police said.
Copyright © 2014 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC