The man was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in serious-to-critical condition, Langford said.
A salesman at the Plaza True Value Hardware Store said the shooting happened at about 2 p.m. directly outside of the store. There were about four people attending to about three or four customers inside the store when the shooting happened, according to the salesman who would not give his name.
He said employees called police who arrived along with paramedics who took the man to the hospital.
- PHOTO: Winneconna Parkway fatal shooting
- Interactive map of Chicago shootings
- Map: Track homicides in Chicago
- Kevin Williams, 27
- 500 West Winneconna Parkway, Chicago, IL 60620, USA
- 11800 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60628, USA
- 2300 North Melvina Avenue, Chicago, IL 60639, USA
- 4200 West Wilcox Street, Chicago, IL 60624, USA
- 3600 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60653, USA
- 300 South Cicero Avenue, Chicago, IL 60644, USA
- 3900 West Madison Street, Chicago, IL 60624, USA
- 5600 South Ada Street, Chicago, IL 60636, USA
- 5100 South Kostner Avenue, Chicago, IL 60632, USA
- 200 South Central Park Boulevard, Chicago, IL 60624, USA
- 1100 North Rockwell Street, Chicago, IL 60622, USA
He said the victim was standing outside of the store with a group of about 15 others when the shooting happened.
"I looked out and I saw a bunch of kids around somebody and I just thought it was some kids fist-fighting," said the man. "Then I saw the blood."
He said the neighborhood "is pretty bad" but they have not experienced any problems near the store.
• At about 7:20 p.m. Friday, a 16-year-old boy and an 18-year-old man were shot on the 2300 block of North Melvina Avenue in the Belmont Central neighborhood, said News Affairs Officer Daniel O'Brien.
The younger victim was shot in the arm and leg and the older man sustained a graze wound to his ankle, police said. Their conditions were not immediately available, O'Brien said.