4:25 PM CDT, August 11, 2013
Two men were killed and 14 people wounded in shootings across the city Saturday afternoon into Sunday morning, including a pair of shootings that each left one man dead and one wounded.
Two men, 54 and 26, were shot in the 2900 block of South State Street in the Dearborn Homes neighborhood about 6:15 p.m. The 54-year-old died.
Both were initially taken to John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County in critical condition. Ralph McNeal, of the 5200 block of South Indiana Avenue, was pronounced dead there at 7:20 p.m.
Another two men were shot in the 1000 block of North St. Louis Avenue in the Humboldt Park neighborhood about 10:15 p.m. An 18-year-old taken to Stroger hospital died and the other man, 24, is in critical condition at Mount Sinai Hospital but is expected to survive.
The 18-year-old was identified by the Cook County medical examiner's office as Antonio Alves, of the 7600 block of South Euclid Avenue.
Police found close to 30 shell casings at the scene from a variety of weapons that were fired from the intersection of Augusta Boulevard and St. Louis Avenue toward where the two men were standing further north on St. Louis.
Police believe the attackers may have shot through their own car windows – thousands of shards of glass were found amidst the shell casings.
In other shootings across the city:
• A 33-year-old man was shot about 6:43 a.m. near 32nd Street and Komensky Avenue in the Little Village neighborhood, police said. He was shot in the chest and arm and taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in serious condition.
• A woman whose age wasn't available was shot about 5:55 a.m. in the leg in the 4400 block of West Dickens Avenue in the Hermosa neighborhood, police said. She drove to Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center after realizing she had been shot while driving. Her condition has stabilized.
• A gunman shot a 29-year-old man in the wrist and grazed a 22-year-old woman in the forehead as the pair sat in a car after leaving a party about 2:45 a.m. Sunday. They were shot in the 3100 block of West Fillmore Street in the Lawndale neighborhood and drove to Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center. Both are in good condition, Chicago Police Department News Affairs Officer Amina Greer said.
• Near 71st and Wood streets in the Englewood neighborhood about 2:30 a.m., an 18-year-old woman walking with her aunt was shot in the knee. They heard shots and felt pain, Greer said. She's in good condition at Advocate Christ Medical Center.
• Someone shot from one car into another next to a gas station in the 5700 block of Fullerton Avenue in the Belmont Central neighborhood about 12:50 a.m, police said. A 30-year-old man was shot in the knee about a block west of Central Avenue as he sat in one of the cars; he was driven from there to Kilpatrick Avenue and Fullerton Avenue, where police and an ambulance found him. He was taken to Our Lady of the Resurrection Medical Center.
• A 30-year-old man was shot in the 7900 block of South Francisco Avenue in the Wrightwood neighborhood about 10:15 p.m., police said. He was shot in the lower right leg and is in stable condition at Advocate Christ Medical Center.
• Someone shot a 27-year-old man near Rockwell Street and Wabansia Avenue in the Logan Square neighborhood. The shooting happened about 11:30 p.m. and the man's condition has stabilized at Norwegian-American Hospital. He was on a bike when someone in an SUV shot at him, police said.
• About 9 p.m., a 16-year-old boy was shot in the 7100 block of South Sangamon Street in the Englewood neighborhood, officials said. The victim suffered a gunshot or graze wound to the head, Greer said. He was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center and was stabilized, Chicago Fire Department spokesman Chief Juan Hernandez said.
• About 7 p.m., a 33-year-old man was shot in the 2400 block of East 106th Street in the Trumbull Park neighborhood on the South Side, said News Affairs Officer Joshua Purkiss. The man, who was shot in the ankle, walked into Advocate Trinity Hospital for treatment.
• About 5:05 p.m., a 16-year-old boy was shot in the back and stomach in the 1400 block of East 74th Street in the Grand Crossing neighborhood on the South Side, said News Affairs Officer Veejay Zala. The boy was taken to Jackson Park Hospital in serious condition, he said.
• About 12:30 p.m. Saturday afternoon, a man was in an alley in the 1800 block of West 44th Street in the Back of the Yards neighborhood on the South Side when he was shot, said News Affairs Officer Michael Sullivan. He suffered wounds to the arm, leg and buttocks, Sullivan said. The man, 22, was taken to Stroger Hospital in critical condition, according to a Chicago Fire Department spokesman.
Copyright © 2013 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC