Two men were charged over the weekend in a Friday drive-by shooting that injured a 22-year-old man and a 16-year-old boy on the city's West Side.
Jalen Searcy, 18, and Willie Powell, 21, were ordered held without bail Sunday in Cook County bond court after being charged with two counts each of attempted first-degree murder in the East Garfield Park neighborhood shooting.
The shooting happened on the 3400 block of West Walnut Street, and was witnessed by a Chicago police officer who was doing surveillance in the neighborhood at the time, prosecutors said. Police arrested the two men in a white van soon after the shooting.
The 22-year-old victim suffered a wound to his buttocks and the boy suffered a graze wound to his shoulder, police said. Both were taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where the man was listed as in good condition and the boy was treated and released.
Prosecutors said Searcy was driving a white van when he pulled up to a parked SUV and, using a gun that had been handed to him by Powell, opened fire on the vehicle’s occupants.
Searcy then drove away, but was stopped by police shortly after the shooting, proseuctors said. Police found three spent shell casings in the van and five on the street, prosecutors said.
Witnesses who were in the van at the time of the shooting later identified Powell as the person who gave the gun to Searcy, prosecutors said.
Powell, of Bolingbrook, was charged last year with unlawful use of a firearm in a case that is currently pending.
In addition to the attempted murder charges, Searcy was also charged with not wearing a seatbelt, having no insurance or license, improper lane passing and disobeying a red light signal.