Investigators inspect the charred remains of a small single-engine plane in the Chase Bank branch parking lot at 262 S. Weber Rd. in Bolingbrook on Sept. 26 after it crashed the day before, killing two people. (Michael Tercha, Chicago Tribune / September 26, 2013)

A small plane that crashed in September outside Bolingbrook's Clow International Airport touched down several times on the runway before taking off again, making a left turn and crashing.

The details, released Thursday by the National Transportation Safety Board, offers new insight into the Sept. 25 Cirrus SR20 plane crash that killed Dr. Narayan Venguswamy, a Kentucky surgeon, and his wife, Jay Venguswamy.

The single-engine plane's final moments were captured by Clow surveillance cameras, according to the NTSB.

The cameras lost sight of the plane after it went left, according to the board.

Witnesses reported seeing the plane leave the runway and make a left turn at low altitude, according to the NTSB. The airplane continued to descend, struck a tree and a light pole before crashing into a parking lot near the Chase Bank at 262 S. Weber Road at about 5:15 p.m.

Jay Venguswamy died at the scene. Narayan Venguswamy was first taken to Adventist Bolingbrook Hospital with severe burns, then was transferred to Loyola University Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 5:45 a.m. on Sept. 26, according to officials.

Witnesses at the scene in September said the plane burst into flames after crashing, and that Narayan Venguswamy staggered away from the wreckage.

The flight originated from Georgetown Scott County Airport in Kentucky, according to the NTSB.

"We kept telling him to roll," said Mike Grohar, who was working nearby. "He kept asking to get his wife out."

Bolingbrook firefighters extinguished the plane fire in about 15 minutes.

An on-scene examination by investigators revealed the plane's flight controls were still operable at the time of the crash, according to the NTSB.

An airframe parachute system was found still packed in the plane, but the position of the parachute's activation handle could not be verified due to fire damage, according to the NTSB.

The four-seat airplane was registered to GDK International in Georgetown, Ky., according to Federal Aviation Administration records. GDK's Web site lists it as an importer/exporter. Narayan Venguswamy was a licensed pilot, according to a federal database.

There was no black box on the airplane.

Narayan Venguswamy, known to colleagues at Georgetown Community Hospital as Dr. Vengu, had worked at the hospital for 27 years, according to hospital spokeswoman Cindy Wesley.

"He was an extraordinary physician, outstanding surgeon, who was passionate about the practice of medicine," she said shortly after his death.

Jay Venguswamy had worked in her husband's office, according to Wesley.

The couple had two adult children, she said.

The information released Thursday is preliminary, according to the NTSB, and a final report is yet to come.
Twitter: @JournoGeoffZ