www.redeyechicago.com/news/breaking/chi-orland-park-home-invasion-shooting-20130510,0,7624047.story

redeyechicago.com

Authorities: Man wanted in Orland Park home invasion dead

By Ashley Rueff

Tribune reporter

6:45 AM CDT, May 11, 2013

Advertisement

An Indiana man wanted in an Orland Park home invasion killed himself inside an East Chicago home Friday night, authorities said.

Lake County, Ind., sheriff's officers searching for 27-year-old Anthony Espinoza, also known as "A-Train," found him dead in the home about 8 p.m.

A no-bond warrant had been issued for Espinoza earlier in the day. He was suspected of being involved in a violent, early morning home invasion in Orland Park that escalated when a wounded resident chased the fleeing attackers in his car, police said.

Officers approached the East Chicago home "acting on a lead" and heard a gunshot, according to a statement from the village of Orland Park. Someone then opened the front door and told officers that the man inside had just shot himself.

"The subject was pronounced dead at the scene and has been identified as Anthony M. Espinoza," the statement said. The Lake County Coroner's Office ruled his death a suicide.

Police said Espinoza and two other men were involved in the armed robbery and shooting at the Orland Park home just before 3 a.m. Friday morning.

A 30-year-old man was home with his fiancee, two children ages 5 and 6 and a nanny when two burglars broke in through a garage side door in the 10900 block of Antelope Lane in an upscale neighborhood on the south end of Orland Park, police said.

Armed with handguns, the robbers awoke the man and his fiancee in the master bedroom and demanded cash and jewelry, Orland Park police Cmdr. John Keating said.

"(The male resident) did struggle with one of the offenders," Keating said. "That's when the offender shot him."

The man suffered gunshot wounds to his arm, shoulder and leg, but his injuries were not considered life-threatening, Keating said.

After the shooting, the male victim followed the two suspects as they fled in a car driven by a third man. Police said the vehicle thought to be used in the crime was recovered later Friday in Gary.

As they fled, the attackers continued to fire shots at the man as he pursued them in his cargo van, Keating said. Shots were fired at least three times as they drove the few miles from the home to Interstate 80.

The suspects fled east on I-80, and the victim turned back after losing sight of the vehicle near Harlem Avenue.

"He came back to La Grange Road and I-80 and flagged down a police officer who was responding to the area and asked for help," Keating said. The resident was transferred to Silver Cross Hospital in New Lenox, where Keating said he was "alert and talking."

Keating would not say whether the attackers knew the victim, adding that police are working to develop descriptions of the other suspects, who appeared to be in their 30s.

Dan Loizzo lives across the street from the victim's home — a two-story brick house — and said he didn't hear any shots or sirens but noticed the police outside his home about 6 a.m.

Loizzo said the shooting victim runs an automotive parts business and often had expensive vehicles parked at his home.

The family was renting the home and had been there less than a year, Loizzo said.

Keating said the victim runs his own business with a location in Mokena and that the family recently moved from Indiana.

Neighbor Stanley Dybas, who lives two doors down, said he was surprised by the events because he has always felt safe in his neighborhood.

"This is a beautiful area," he said. "Everybody knows each other. I lived here almost 10 years and nothing happened. Everything was quiet."

Tribune reporter Peter Nickeas contributed.

arueff@tribune.com
Twitter: @TribAshleyRueff