By John Byrne
10:16 PM CST, January 25, 2013
Mayor Rahm Emanuel's office has extended to Monday the deadline to apply to succeed former 7th Ward Ald. Sandi Jackson.
The administration initially sent out a news release Friday afternoon saying it had received completed applications from 42 people by a 5 p.m. deadline.
This evening, mayoral spokesman Tom Alexander said the deadline would be extended to 5 p.m. Monday after the city's web site experienced "some technical difficulties" and was offline for a "brief period of time."
At any rate, the mayor's office did not release the names of those who already have applied. Emanuel will "soon" name a four-person panel with community representatives to vet the applicants and present him with a list of finalists, the administration said.
Emanuel hopes to pick Sandi Jackson's replacement by mid-February. Ald. Jackson was 20 months into her second term when she resigned earlier this month as controversy continued to swirl around her husband, former U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. He resigned shortly after his November re-election, citing his bipolar depression and acknowledging federal ethics probes into his use of campaign funds.
Sandi Jackson recently told supporters she wants her chief of staff to succeed her, prompting Emanuel to tell reporters Jackson was welcome to submit names via the online application.
This will be Emanuel's first chance to appoint an alderman, and he has said he hopes this type of process becomes the standard going forward.
The city web site is: www.cityofchicago.org/ward7application
Copyright © 2014 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC