www.redeyechicago.com/news/breaking/chi-authorities-1-to-face-charges-in-oakbrook-mall-incident-20130628,0,4370575.story

redeyechicago.com

$500K bail for suspect in Oakbrook mall incident

By Rosemary Regina Sobol

Tribune reporter

10:52 AM CDT, June 29, 2013

Advertisement

Bail was set at $500,000 this morning for a Detroit man who tried to rob an Oak Brook jewelry store last weekend but was shot by a security guard while his two accomplices fled, authorities said.

Levert Jones, 25, was in court his morning where Judge Robert Douglas set bail at $500,000. Jones is charged with one count of attempted armed robbery, according to a statement from the DuPage County state's attorney's office.

Jones' next  court appearance is scheduled for July 22 for arraignment in front of Judge Blanche Hill Fawell. Should Jones post the required 10 per cent, or $50,000, to be free, he will be required to wear a GPS monitoring device, the statement said.

On June 23, 2013, at approximately 3:45 p.m., Jones and two accomplices entered the C.D. Peacock jewelry store located in the Oakbrook Center shopping mall, police said. Shortly afterward, it is alleged that Jones pulled a dark object, later determined to be a sledgehammer, from his waistband and began smashing a glass merchandise case containing watches and jewelry, according to the statement.

An armed, in-store security guard pulled his weapon and ordered Jones to stop what he was doing and lie on the ground. It is alleged that after initially complying with the security guard's orders, Jones tried to escape when the security guard attempted to handcuff him. After a brief struggle, the security guard discharged his weapon, striking Jones in the abdomen, the statement said.

Shortly thereafter, Oak Brook police officers arrived at the scene. Jones was taken to a local hospital. It is further alleged that following the attempted robbery, Jones' accomplices left the store on foot and then left the mall in a Jeep that had previously been stolen from the mall parking lot.

The other two suspects remained at large but the stolen Jeep was recovered, police said.

About 10 customers and six employees were in the store at the time of the incident, according to police at the time. No one besides Jones was injured.

The incident prompted a brief lockdown of the mall. Police released a photo and a video clip from the store's security camera but were seeking better-quality images to help identify the two other suspects.

They were described as black men in their late 20s or early 30s. One is about 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighs 230 pounds, with a tattoo on the right side of his neck. He was wearing a black T-shirt. The other man is about 5 feet 11 inches tall and weighs about 160 pounds, with a heavy beard. He was wearing a white T-shirt, police said.

The suspects are all members of a large "smash and grab" style theft crew that targets Rolex cases, according to a police report.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Det. Vel Torlo at 630-368-8747 or Det. Jason Wood 630-368-8749.
 
rsobol@tribune.com
Twitter: @RosemarySobol1