Three suburban men were ordered held today after they were charged with committing a botched New Year’s Eve robbery that ended in the death of a Berwyn man.

Eddie Garcia, Salvador Alvarado and Jonathan Ivory each face first-degree murder and attempted robbery charges for the shooting death of 20-year-old Jose Mendoza, Assistant State’s Attorney Brooke Shupe said Sunday.

Ivory, 24, of Westchester, picked up Alvarado and Garcia on Dec. 31, she said.

The three smoked marijuana and talked about doing a robbery, according to Shupe.

Ivory drove the trio to the 2100 block of South Oak Park Avenue, near the Millennium Cutz barbershop, and dropped Garcia off, she said.

Garcia, 21, of Alsip, waited in a back alley for Mendoza, Shupe said, and attempted to rob him when he walked up at about 9:40 p.m.

A struggle, ensued, and Garcia shot Mendoza once in the chest, she said. He got no cash from Mendoza.

Mendoza, of the 2600 block of South East Avenue in Berwyn, was pronounced dead just after 11 p.m. on Dec. 31, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s  office.

Garcia fled to the getaway car after the shooting, but dropped his phone, the handgun’s clip and one of his shoes in the process, all of which were recovered by police, Shupe said.

He also ditched the gun at some point, she said.

Police tracked down Garcia through the phone, which had been bought for him by a female acquaintance, according to Shupe.

Alvarado, 25, of Cicero, initially showed up at the police station as a witness to Garcia’s whereabouts, Shupe said.

But further questioning led police to realize Alvarado was part of the incident, she said.

Alvarado and Garcia then implicated Ivory in the botched robbery, according to Shupe.

Each man gave “admissions of accountability” for the attempted robbery that resulted in Mendoza’s death, she said.

Garcia was ordered held in lieu of $3 million bail while Alvarado and Ivory were both held in lieu of $1 million bail.

geoffz@tribune.com

Twitter: @JournoGeoffZ