Take a deep breath. OK, now you’re ready for another summer music fest, right?
We hope so. This weekend’s North Coast Music Fest (running through Sunday in Union Park) offers plenty of reasons to be excited for another weekend-long music bash, both on stage and off.
4 reasons you can be excited about North Coast
1. This summer’s other fests had few hip-hop acts worth seeing. Between Big Boi and Atmosphere alone, North Coast represents this year with two of our favorites.
2. Dancing to the locals. Several Chicagoans appear this weekend, including Midnight Conspiracy, Gemini Club, Umphrey’s McGee, Jamie Lono, Family Groove Company and Team Bayside High, plus fresh-off-the-Lolla-stage Kid Color and Zebo.
3. Enthusiasm! This will be one of the only fests you see this year with bands that are taking their exposure very seriously. Expect high energy and a good time.
4. Not the usual: North Coast is a collection of bands that aren’t usually put together in any capacity. This is the weekend to check out something foreign to your usual tastes. Who knows? You may find a new favorite band.
Want more? Discuss this article and others on RedEye's Facebook page.
4 people you’ll see at North Coast
1. The mind-altered dancer moving as if Paul Oakenfold and Girl Talk are playing all-day sets, even when no music is playing at all. (Note: This person appears at pretty much every fest.)
2. The Class of 2014, in full force. Pray for the children, people.
3. The “Jesus” guy. If you’ve been to North Coast the past two years, you’ve seen him. His flowing locks, blissed-out state and super-positive demeanor can’t be missed. Be sure to get a hug!
4. Every promoter in Chicago: What’s that? You have the entire Sunday lineup playing a surprise DJ set at the same time at your club tonight? Cool story, bro.