“Hardcore Pawn: Chicago” will not return to Tru TV for a second season, according to a spokesman for Turner Broadcasting, which owns Tru TV. The reality show – which was a spinoff of “Hardcore Pawn,” now in its eighth season -- revolved around Royal Pawn Shop in the Loop and co-owners and brothers Randy and Wayne Cohen.
"Tru TV has decided not to renew the series,” said Turner spokesman Mitchell Squires Monday by email. “As is policy, all relevant parties were told."
When reached for comment Saturday by phone, the Cohens claimed they had not yet been told whether or not the show would return but did say their contract with the network was up March 1.
“If they don’t renew us, we want to leave on good terms,” Wayne said. “They gave us our start. They put us on the map. “
The premiere of “Hardcore Pawn: Chicago” broke Tru Tv ratings records for a new series when it premiered last year on New Year’s Day. In February, Tru TV ordered 8 more episodes of the series.
“We’ve had a great time,” Randy said about the filming experience. “And it’s been great for business.”
email@example.com | Twitter @TribLuis
For more celebrity news and sightings in Chicago, go to chicagotribune.com/luisCopyright © 2015, RedEye