A 75-year-old man was injured in a fire today in an apartment in the city’s South Austin neighborhood, a Fire Department spokesman said.
The man was injured when a mattress caught fire in his apartment in the first block of South Mayfield Avenue just before 3 p.m., said Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford.
Firefighters were able to put out the fire with hand pumps, Langford said.
The fire was contained to the one apartment in the three-story, multi-unit apartment building.
The man was taken to an area hospital in fair-to-serious condition, Langford said.